Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Day of Nothing

I've been so bad today and it was definitely not my plan.  I have done absolutely NO work, as far as school is concerned anyway.  On the bright side of things, I did make it to the grocery store.  I got fruits, veggies, and some cookies of course (I am such a cookie monster lol). 

This is random but I purchased 3 new books before Borders went out-of-business!  Here's what I got: 

All I Want Is Everything-Daaimah S. Poole
It was a pretty good read.  But it wasn't anything spectacular.  In some cases it was rather typical in that, person makes it big or close to big, loses themselves, hooks up with multiple guys, and somehow everything works out for the better LOL.  However, the ending was somewhat motivational.  I won't ruin everything for those that would like to read it though. 

Eighteen Acres-Nicolle Wallace
I haven't read anything further than 3-4 pages of this book.  This is only because I have work that I need to do so I can't spend too my quality time with my leisure books at the moment.  I think it was make for a good read though.  It's a book about women in high political positions.  In fact, the president is a woman.  So either women be strong, powerful, and capable of handling these high powered positions or the author will feed into stereotypes, making the women completely emotional to the point of destroying the country.  Let's hope she went with the first option.

Last, Cleopatra's Daughter-Michelle Moran  
Starting this book right now isn't even an option.  I can't wait to have time to read it though.  It's a little thick but I think I'll be able to make it through, if it is good.  Heavy emphasis on the, if it is good.  If a book is boring then you can pretty much count me out.  Sadly, it took me 3 years to get through The Bluest Eye.  Everyone I knew said it was one of their favorites, and while I get the message, it was B-O-R-I-N-G.  No disrespect to Ms. Toni Morrison, but I could not get down with it.  Nevertheless, I made it through.  Back to this particular book though.  I bought it for 2 reasons, one of which isn't so good LOL.  First, I was up one night watching tv and came across a documentary about Cleopatra.  The documentary painted a ruthless picture of Cleopatra.  They said she pretty much had members of her family killed so that she wouldn't have any competition in ruling their kingdom.  I was like o_O.  If this is true how could she do that.  In the end she and Marc Anthony were killed anyway.  Sorry...I've gotten off track.  Second, because I want to learn more about ancient history.  I'm talking about coverups, plots for destruction, takeovers, EVERYTHING.  I want to see how this country and other countries have gotten to where we are.

In a sense I want to know some truth.   How have some of these wealthy and powerful families made it to where they control major resources.  Most of us have heard the stories about someone's family coming from nothing and making it to the top. Well I want to know how they did it.  Was it all due to hard work?  Or did they grandfathers and grandmothers have to get RAW and do some shameful stuff.  

While simply reading Cleopatra's Daughter, a fiction novel, will not teach me major history lessons I am sure there is some truth in the events that took place.  I'll admit it is a half-@$$ attempt at learning history but I need a little fun mixed in right now.  At the moment I'm all textbooks and facts.  I want some unrealistic..I can't believe he/she did that...what's going to happen next reading LOL.  But if you know of some good history books or some interesting readings please share them with me. Please note, I am not rich so the books need to be on the cheaper side of things.  LOL  Also, if you've read the books I posted let me know what you think. 

Oh, one of my favorite books is No Disrespect by Sister Souljah.  It's not new but it is good and I have an autographed copy!!!!!!!

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment