Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hola Me llamo...

Streaming lecture
Today we began our Basic Medical Spanish course.  No, it's not a requirement for us.  But I like Spanish and when the opportunity arose for me to take it through the university I jumped at it.  I had taken Spanish in high school and most of college.  In fact, I had even considered minoring in Spanish.  Sometimes I regret that I didn't follow through with that but there's no need for that anymore because I am taking the course now.

The class wasn't exactly what I had expected.  I thought the professor would start off very slow, which he did, but he also spoke lots of Spanish that had nothing to do with our assignment.  I'm assuming it's his native language and he expected many of us to have had some prior Spanish speaking experience.  While I do have experience it's been about 8 years since I've actually used it in conversation, so I don't recall too much.  Also, the session via polycom and there was some interference, in addition to, regular background noise from other students.  Needless to say I had a hard time jumping back into the game.  He was saying words I was completely unfamiliar with. LOL.  Nevertheless, I won't give up.  It may be challenging but I, for one, want to speak Spanish fluently; and second, I would love to be able to cater to Spanish speaking patients without the need of a translator.  How awesome would that be?  Furthermore, I'm sure they would feel more comfortable speaking with me directly rather than another random person.

Well our next class is next Wednesday and I hope I'll be better prepared.

Here's a sentence we learned today... ¿Donde le duele?

¡Si, me gusta mucho! Mi clase seria muy interesante.  

¡Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment